Here are some studies on biochar and composting that we found useful:
- Li, Shuqing, et al. Linking N2O emission from biochar-amended composting process to the abundance of denitrify (nirK and nosZ) bacteria community. AMB Expr (2016) 6:37 DOI 10.1186/s13568-016-0208-x
- Steiner, C., Das, K. C., Melear, N. & Lakly, D. Reducing nitrogen loss during poultry litter composting using biochar. J. Environ. Qual. 39, 1236–1242 (2010).
- Wang, C. et al. Insight into the effects of biochar on manure composting: Evidence supporting the relationship between N2O emission and denitrifying community. Environ. Sci. Technol. 47, 7341–7349 (2013).
- Jindo, K. et al. Biochar influences the microbial community structure during manure composting with agricultural wastes. Sci. Total Environ. 416, 476–481 (2012).
- Kammann, C. I. et al. Plant growth improvement mediated by nitrate capture in co-composted biochar. Sci. Rep. 5, 11080; doi: 10.1038/srep11080 (2015).
- Jindo, K. et al. Chemical and biochemical characterisation of biochar-blended composts prepared from poultry manure. Biores. Technol. 110, 396–404, (2012).
- Glaser, B et al. Biochar organic fertilizers from natural resources as substitute for mineral fertilizers Agron. Sustain. Dev. (2015) 35:667–678